Sunday, August 15, 2010

Eat Pray Love



So...I finally finished my book. It took me 2 months or more, which is ridiculous to me. I'm used to blowing through a book in a week! And it's not cause it wasn't interesting or that I didn't WANT to read it. I absolutely LOVED the book and it completely blew my mind. I'm still reeling from it, in fact. I can only say that it took me this long because of...distractions. Life in  general. Lack of sleep made it hard to sit/lie still while remaining conscious. (p.s. it took me a good 5 minutes to decide whether it was supposed to be LAY or LIE. Things lay, people lie, right? I'm still not sure...)

So here's my review of this incredible book. Loved it. Highly recommend it. You should read it, if you haven't already. : )

To me, reading has always been and integral part of life. According to my mom, I started reading Reader's Digest at the age of 6. There were times where she would have to hide my book so I would do my homework. Or she would bribe me with books or reading time so I would do chores. The written word has always captivated me. Taken me to far off places, given me mind-blowing new ideas, filled my head with more awesomeness than I could possibly comprehend. I LOVE READING!

So this book. Fantastic. I loved the travel, the food, the people, the languages, and her writing is so effortless to read. She really is a great author. I'm gonna look up her other stuff.

I learned a lot too. So many things that I never even thought of. So much advice given to Liz that I swear was meant for me. That quote from a couple of posts ago, about being "zapped"? Yup. Totally for me. The book is really quotable, which I love. I even HIGHLIGHTED some passages, which I pretty much never do. I think it's a bit sacrilegious to damage books. I'm overprotective when it comes to my books. You ruin my book while in your possession, you buy me a new one. My sister Ashleigh can attest to that. : ) And NO DOG-EARING. No. That's what bookmarks are for. I usually use a receipt, a movie ticket, a post-it, whatever. I haven't used an actual bookmark in years.

But, anyway. Yes. Very quotable. I think I'll share a few of those quotes.

Liz: 
"...I seriously believed David was my soul mate."
Richard from Texas: 
"He probably was. Your problem is you 
don't understand what that word means. People think a 
soul mate is your perfect fit, and that's what everyone wants. 
But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you
everything that's holding you back, the person who brings 
you to your own attention so you can change your life. A true 
soul mate is probably the most important person you'll
ever meet, because they tear down your walls and smack you awake.
 But to live with your soul mate forever? 
Nah. Too painful."


"Faith is walking face-first and full-speed into the dark. 
If we truly knew all the answers 
in advance, as to the meaning of life and the nature of God 
and the destiny of our souls,
our belief would not be a leap of faith and it would not be a 
courageous act of humanity,
it would just be...a prudent insurance policy."

"Destiny is...a relationship--a play between divine 
grace and willful self-effort.Half of it you have no 
control over; half of it is absolutely in your hands, and
your actions will show measurable consequence. 
Man is neither entirely a puppet of the gods, 
nor is he entirely the captain of his own destiny;
he's a little of both."

"...I can choose my thoughts."

"I will not harbor unhealthy thoughts anymore."

"This is the supreme lesson of karma--to take care of the problems now,
or else you'll just have to suffer again later when you screw everything
up the next time."

Felipe:
"We must have your hearts broken sometimes. This is
a good sign, having a broken heart. It means we 
tried for something."

"--I was not rescued by a prince; I was the administrator
of my own rescue."

Amazing. Amazing quotes. Amazing book. Read it. I can't wait to see the movie, but there's no way it will compare. Sigh. I need to contemplate some more. Good night, blogging world. Until tomorrow...

: )

No comments:

Post a Comment